Thursday 24 May 2018

A weekend with 3 guys

Hey there,

like I said here is the next post coming at you. This is about the last weekend that I spend with Steve, Tom and Dorian.  But first let's talk about Friday. Since I knew I had to go down to Shannon to get another rental car I asked John if I could have at least half a day off and he very kindle gave me the whole day off.  So I had a nice lay in before just packing my stuff. Also a girl I met while studying in Regensburg arrived in Galway so we met for a tea. At five o'clock I then got the bus down to Shannon to get the car for our trip. So Steve and me first talked about the possibility of a trip while we were still back in Germany but we didn't know which trip exactly we were about to take. So in the weeks before we all talked about it and came up with the Cliffs of Moher and the Ring of Kerry. So this is the route I took in the end:

made with https://www.falk.de/routenplaner

The guys on the other hand took the train from Dublin to Galway in the evening while I took the bus down to Shannon Airport and was picked up by Jordan who finalized the rental agreement with me and then I drove back to Galway. This time round I again didn't get exactly the car I rented. I rented a Ford Focus and got an Citroen Cactus which in hindsight was way better suited for this trip.

Citroen Cactus

Since my bus was half an hour late I only arrived back in Galway ten minutes before the guys arrived as well. So I just got my small suitcase and drove to the Rail Station. After getting everyone into the car with Dorian in the passenger seat, Tom behind me and Steve next to him we started our way to our first hostel which was in Lisdoonvarna, which is about 12 km away from the Cliffs of Moher. Since I already drove the way there back on Monday I had a rough idea where I had to turn and what the road was like. After going up the serpentines we made a quick stop at the same place where normally the bus tours have a photo stop.

view from our stop

After that we went to the hostel and checked in. The guy checking us in was German as well. He asked us where we were from and Steve answered Berlin. We talked a bit more before he suddenly asked me where from Bavaria I am. I just had to laugh at that. I will probably never be able to disguise my Frankonian heritage while talking German. He then showed us to our room and told us about a pub just down the road. We went there hand had a pint before going back and get some sleep in before the first and biggest sight of the trip. The next morning we all got up and ready before getting some breakfast. As it is in most hostels, a continental breakfast was included. So we all ate some bread and cereals before getting into the car and going to the Cliffs of Moher.
We first went to O'Briens tower again before then taking the path into the other direction going South. Also this time round I also went a bit more to the edge than last time. And I think Tom found the perfect term for it. It is a weird mix of fascination, death and excitement when you look right over the edge. So here are some pictures:

me sitting on the edge, photo credits to Steve

look over the edge

Cliffs of Moher

group picture

After wandering around there for quite some time we decided to leave it behind since we had a longer drive ahead of us. Next planned stop was Killarney. But we were all hungry after walking around so we had a quick stop in Lahinch and got some burgers (and pizza for Steve) from a small take away shop. We enjoyed our lunch right next to the sea side on some stones and watched  multiple surfer either learning or waiting for their wave.

view while having lunch

We got back into the car afterwards and started the long way down to Killarney which is part of the Ring of Kerry. We arrived there and checked into the hostel Tom booked for us. We freshened up a bit and then walked into the city centre. On our way we all got some ice cream from McDonalds and just explored the city. 

St. Mary's Cathedral in Killarney
We came by this church and were about to discuss were else we would go when Dorian told us that we needed to get food for him for his blood-sugar-levels. So we didn't see much more of Killarney and went back to the hostel where we played some cards before discussing our route for the next day and going to bed since it would be an early morning the next day.

We got up the next morning at seven and had another continental breakfast before starting our journey.  Our first stop of the day was Ross Castle. We didn't go in but the view over the lake was quite stunning. Especially this there was a rainbow involved

Ross Castle

lake view at Ross Castle

me at Torc Waterfall, thanks Dorian for taking it
Next stop was the Torc Waterfall about 10 minutes away from the castle. This was the first time I was happy we got the Cactus instead of the Focus because the street was more of a cart road than a normal road. Also we took a short walk from the parking lot to the waterfall Since the way there was all downhill it was no surprise to me that on our way back the guys were way faster than me and had to wait every once in a while.

Afterwards we made a stop at Ladies View. From there one can see three of the lakes of Killarney National Park. But the way there wasn't as easy as one would imagine. It was very curvy and a lot of rocks and cliffs to go around. An additional challenge were all the cyclists. A few were going our way but there was a cycle tournament going on in the opposite direction. These cyclists come out of the curves at a speed that can only described as crazy and border lining suicidal. So I thanked whoever is up there that around Bayreuth we do have similar roads. After our stop there we went on to drive to Moll's Gap. Unfortunately the weather wasn't as good anymore and there was a lot of fog blocking our view of the gap. Also we got a peak of the road we were supposed to go down from there. There were also still cyclists coming up this road. On a positive note we stopped right where a track marshal was positioned. I asked them how many more of the cyclists where coming up because I wouldn't have wanted to go down a one car wide road into the fog with the prospect of a lot of cyclists coming my way. Fortunately the track marshal told me that there were only about 5 cyclists left so we all decided to wait for these and then go down there. It was quite an interesting experience. We had to wait for oncoming cars rather often and at one point we were trapped behind a horse carriage while going up some serpentines. So here are some pictures of ladies view and the road we were going down and up and everything in between.

view at Ladies view

waiting for the oncoming car to pass, photo credits to Steve

But it was totally worth going down and up this Street because along the way there was a stunning view over the Gap of Dunloe was awaiting us. Here are two pictures:

Augher Lake at the Gap of Dunloe, photo credits to Steve

view up to the Black Lake, taken on the Wishing Bridge

Unfortunately I wasn't able to park the car anywhere other than next to the Wishing Bridge but Steve took some pictures while I was waiting for the oncoming cars to pass us. Yet it was truly amazing to drive through this and it was worth every second. 
After going through the Gap of Dunloe we  started our way back up to Limerick where the guys would catch a train back to Dublin. But before that we all got some food at Boojum (a Burrito place) together and also walked around Limerick a bit (as much as the weather allowed us). Therefore we walked to King John's Castle before we took shelter from the rain.

King John's Castkle, Limerick

The only thing left to do was to get the guys to their train and then giving back the car. So that is what we did. I drove the guys to the Rail Station and we said our goodbyes. I then drove the car back to the Shannon Springs Hotel where Easirent has its branch for Shannon Airport. There I met Frank again and he took the car in before driving me to the airport for my bus.  If you want to read more about the trip I'd advice you to read Steve's, Tom's and Dorian's blogs.

Back in Galway I said my goodbye to Anna who left early Monday morning before getting into bed since I was knackered again.

Monday it was back to work. I served customers again and John showed me how to change a screen on any iPhone between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone SE. Also the weather was really nice. 

Tuesday, Wednesday and today were pretty much the same. John showed me hoe to change iPhone 6S and 7 screens and I cleaned out some charging ports. Also today I started testing an order of used phones that came in. Also I put together a order John placed with Baseus for different accessories. And I was told that I'm a miracle girl today. It was a very nice older lady who is here for holidays. Her Samsung phone wasn't showing her pictures anymore. She could take them but as soon as she looked at them and swiped through them they came up black. All I did was updating the gallery app of her phone but she was so happy I did it that she said I'm a miracle girl. Mainly because she and her grandson feared they would have to wipe the phone to make it work again. I have to say it was very nice to see how happy she was.

So now you are all caught up on what's going on again. I will update you again at some point after Saturday but before I go back home (obviously). I can't believe that at this time next week I will be in back in Berlin already. It's so surreal to think about going back. I feel like the time went by way too fast.

Stay tuned. Cheers!

Juliane

No comments:

Post a Comment