Friday 11 May 2018

Inis Oírr, Bank Holiday and short week

Hey there,

how are you all doing? I really should write more often but I just kinda forget about it sometimes and when I think of it I don't have the time. But here I am again. So what happened this last week?

On Friday I got my tickets for the bus and the ferry to Inis Oírr (Inisheer), another island of the Aran Islands, before I went to work. At work I pretty much do the same stuff every day. I serve customers, help  with software problems on phones and also I got to call everyone who had a phone in the "done"-box that got there within the last two weeks. It was actually quite nice to do and I got to practise my English some more, especially regarding the understanding a thick Irish accent department got some boost there. Also the software part makes me kinda grateful that my phone is totally fine, on and running. Up until today I saw a lot of people loosing some data because there phones were disabled. Also there are some iPhones that are just stuck in restore mode and telling people that their phone is basically never gonna work again isn't the happiest thing to do. But back to the my Friday. After work I got some groceries and just enjoyed my evening.

seawater lake at Inis Oírr

On Saturday I got up around the same time as when I work because I booked a tour to Inis Oírr with the same company I booked the trip to Inis Mór. And let me tell you just because this island is smaller in size (only about 3 km on 3 km) it isn't smaller regarding anything else (except probably population). The ferry took about an hour to get to Inis Oírr with a stop at Inis Meáin. When I got of the ferry I already saw a few horse and trap rides and I wanted to take one. Since I was alone I shared mine with a couple from Limerick. First we were told about the school on Inis Oírr. It is complete run by solar and wind energy and hosts first grade until the children are leaving for college.
Plassey
The next stop was at the shipwreck of the Plassey. The ship ran onto the riff near the island in 1960 during a storm and was stranded on Inis Oírr ever since. But it doesn't just sit there. Whenever a big storm is going on the wreck moves a little bit. In the last storm in actually bend and in some places broke in two parts. But what makes the scenery at the Plassey even more special are the Cliffs of Moher. It almost seems like you could just reach out and touch them.





at Inis Oírr
After that the tour went on and we also got to learn about the seawater lake on the island which was connected to the sea during the last storm. The last stop on the ride was an old church which now seems to be built into a hill but was built on then ground level.
After the tour had ended I went up a hill and got lunch at one of the bed and breakfasts on the Island. Since I wanted to get some fresh fish I decided on crab claws. Probably won't ever eat them again ever. But it was really good to try them.


After that I just wandered around the island a bit more and also got some ice cream and some fudge. And let me tell you, I really need to get some fudge before I go back home. I love it. It is amazing.

Plassey and the Cliffs of Moher


beach at Inis Oírr


On Sunday I did my laundry and just relaxed so there isn't really anything to tell you.

view of Galway Bay on Monday
Monday was a bank holyday and I met with Sabine, the trainer at German Bundestag, and her husband. Since they wanted to go to Oslo, the origin of Galway Bay Brewery, we met there. The pub is in Salthill, which is part of Galway but out of the city centre. We met for lunch and just talked about Ireland , Germany and anything and everything in between and above. Also Sabine asked me if I'm coming back. And yes I will come back but I already know that I will miss it here. I already met some amazing people (and hope to continue to do so) and I already made such great memories and there is so much more to see and to visit here. But I will be back in June, no panic. After lunch we walked at the shoreline and through the Latin Quarter back to the city centre and  had a tea before they boarded their coach back to Dublin.  I skyped my parents that evening and went to bed afterwards.

On Tuesday it was back to work and I did what I normally do at work: serve customers, talk to them and help John in every way I can. Also John had to close up the shop in the afternoon for a short time because he had to get his younger daughter from school. Also on Tuesday I finally booked two cars. Yes that's right. I found a company and I booked cars and it actually will work out. I'm still kind of buzzing about it even though it was again coupled with a lot of frustration. But I got cars and that's what's important.

On Wednesday I talked to John about probably leaving work a bit earlier for I had to go to the post office which closes at the same time as iBroke. Work-wise it was pretty much the same as always so no surprises there. But as I was talking to John about a phone I was handling we both realised that I obviously really accommodated myself here because I start swearing. Kind of a lot in comparison to before and even more compared to how much I swear in German.  Since John had to get his daughter again he asked me if I were okay with staying longer and running to the post office in the morning also giving his permission to me coming in later than normal because of it. Of course I said yes and so I stayed even longer than normal to get everything done. He asked me to print every invoice regarding a selling of a phone since January which took me a while. In the evening I wrote some postcards and started packing for my weekend.

Today was a slower day at work so I had time to check every booking for the weekend and make sure everything was good. Other than that I was in charge of working out why an iPhone couldn't be answered when locked. First I updated the software which didn't help and a restore didn't help either. So I started goggling the problem and found put that the same thing happened to a reasonable amount of other users on different iOS versions and that apple actually says to push the home button when answering a locked phone that quite surprised me. However that didn't fix the problem completely. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything else promising so I had to explain it to the customer which went better than expected.

Tomorrow and Monday I got the day off. My boyfriend is coming to visit and we've planned a bit of a road trip. So next time I'm gonna tell you all about that but now it's time for bed.

See you soon. Stay tuned. Cheers!

Juliane

P.S.: If any of you wonder about the slide shows in last weeks blog or why there aren't any in this one: I don't quite know the reason but they're not working. And I don't want you missing out on the pictures so that's why they're posted individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment