Saturday 7 April 2018

Meeting new collegues and exploring Galway

Hey there,

so yesterday I met three (or t'ree how the Irish would pronounce it) of my new collegues at iBroke. But let's start in the morning. After getting ready and having a small breakfast I took the bus to iBroke. I can walk there as well but it was raining quite a bit so I took the bus. On arrival I met Louis and Shawn (I'm not sure about the second name. Neither the name nor the spelling so bare with me there). Louis is a friend of John and originally from Dublin, while Shawn is from Galway and has a bit of a heavier accent than Louis. John wasn't there and they didn't know what I should do so I just sat there waiting and watching them. Every once in a while we talked a bit and it was quite funny. They are really nice and we got along well.
Around noon John came in and we just settled everything that was still up there. My next work day is on Monday.
After getting his okay to leave I walked back to the Eyre square which is a green right in the city centre of Galway. Since it was still raining a little bit I went to a small drug store and then right back to the apartment. After drying myself and searching some stuff I want to do while being here, it cleared up  and I went out to explore Galway some more. First I went to a store, where I could put money on the leap card, that I brought with me. After that I just walked down William Street to Lynch's castle, which was built in the 16th century.

Lynch's Castle

After that I got some more home stuff and groceries and went back to the apartment given that it was almost dinner time.
After dinner Maxine and me started talking and got to know each other better before being joined by her friend Tyler and watching "The Room" aka the worst film ever made.
Today I after catching up on some sleep I explored Galway some more. First of all I went to see the Spanish Arch which was built in the 15th century and symbolizes the trade the Normans had with the Spanish.

The Spanish Arch

As it was sunny there where a lot of people sitting there by the arch and the river. So I figure it is 'the place to be' if the weather is right. After crossing the river Corrib I was able to see where the river flows into the see.  Since it was really nice there I decided to stay a while and just enjoy the weather and everything around me.

river Corrib

estuary mouth of the river Corrib

After that I just walked back to High Street and browsed through some shops there and in Shop Street, the two most popular streets in Galway.
Now I just had dinner and I'll head out with Maxine to go to a pub right around the corner.

That's it for now. Stay tuned. Cheers!

Juliane

P.S.: As I promised in my last post I took some pictures of the apartment. So here it goes:

View into the main room of the apartment

The kitchen with a washing maschine, a dish washer and a dryer

Living room with the glass wall and a view of the Docks

My room with my bed on the right side

En-suite bathroom of my room

6 comments:

  1. Ein paar Bilder an der Wand würden es noch ein bisschen heimeliger machen. Aber ansonsten: Supi!
    Have a great time on the Island!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo....the room wollte ich mir auch noch ansehen. Danke für die Warnung. Dann lass ich das lieber ;-)
    Da in deinem Raum 2 Betten stehen, nehme ich an, dass du dir das Zimmer mit jemanden teilen muss. Korrekt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huch, doch schneller veröffentlicht, als ich wollte ;-)
      Ich wünsche dir noch viel Spaß und mir ganz viele Fotos :-D
      LG Heike

      Delete
    2. Ja, ich teile mein Zimmer mit Maxine. Funktioniert aber bis jetzt recht gut.
      Und du kannst ihn dir ja trotzdem anschauen. Aber ich fand die Storyline nicht berauschend und das "Acting" is jetzt nicht so der Hit, der alles rausreisst :D
      Liebe Gruesse
      Juliane :)

      Delete
    3. Na mal schaun...ich werde berichten, ob ich ihn gesehen habe und ob er mir gefallen hat.

      LG
      Heike

      Delete
  3. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. https://www.snoozleshostelgalway.ie/

    ReplyDelete