Saturday 28 April 2018

My week of work

Hey there,

what's the crac? This post will be a bit shorter than the last one but I just hope noone minds that.

On Monday John had the day off so I was working with Louis (the one from my first day) and Darragh (shop owner). It was kind of a different experience. It started in the morning when I arrived at the shop to find that I was the first one there and it was raining as usual in such situations. But luckily it didn't take long for Louis to arrive and shortly after Daragh came as well. Basically I was in charge of designing a spring sale mail which led to me searching pictures for the whole day whenever I had the time. Other than that I cleaned some phones and shortly before I left I took payment of a costumer for the first time ever in my life. That was kind of a scary experience. I actually managed to give the customer the merchant slip of the card payment but other than that it went mostly smoothly.

On Tuesday, the 24th of April, I told John everything from the day before and he showed me how to take a customer in. After he watched me doing it once he told me that I from that moment going forward would be the one taking customers in or taking payments. So that is my new main job. Listen to the customers explaining their problems, taking their details and taking payment when they collect their phones. Also, an order came in on Tuesday so I put it all away correctly.
On another note two of my roommates came back from Corfu. Emma and Maxine. We talked pretty much the whole evening and also went up to the guys apartment to eat there.

On Wednesday John and Louis were in and working when I came into work. So I pretty much did the same thing as on Tuesday except putting away an incoming order. But I talked to all the customers and got a bit of a hang of when to ask John about the customers problems. Also I still searched for a good picture to put into the mail. After finding one I asked them what should go in the text. They weren't quite sure so I left it there and started searching tours for the weekend while still going up to the customers whenever one came in.

 On Thursday it was just John and me again. It was quite relaxed. I mainly did the same as on Tuesday and Wednesday. But I also decided that I would go and try every Subway that is available here in Ireland but not in Germany. Other than that I texted a lot regarding a trip I will go on in May. I had to laugh about a few messages so I was giggling quite a bit. John asked about it and when I told him he laughed about it as well. In the evening I met up with John, Shane, Louis and Louis' may-as-well-be-girlfriend Paige. We first went to one of Darragh's other businesses. A pub called Carroll's on Dominick Street. It has a double decker bus standing in its beer garden where you can get pizza. I still am getting used to the pizza habits here. First the toppings on most pizzas are very different. Like chicken or beef mince. And when eating the pizza they dipped their pizza in garlic sauce. I had never really seen that in Germany. Probably once or twice at Pizza Hut but definitely not so casually. The pizza though was really good. And it was not too crazy. We also got a few pints with it. I was one pint ahead of everyone because in true Irish fashion everyone else was a bit late and I didn't want to just stand there. John had to leave early because of his two daughters so the other three and I went on to another pub after enjoying the live music some more and Paige also sang a song with the musicians. We had a lot of fun and after going to two other pubs Shane went home as well. Louis, Paige and I went to a bowling alley afterwards. Louis knows some guy, who works there, so we got in and played a game. I left after that because I had to get up in the morning to go to work. I had a lot of fun on Thursday evening and I also got a picture of the three guys I work with. I asked them if they were alright with me putting up this exact picture and they gave their consent, so here it is:

John is in the back, Louis in the front. Shane is on the right side.

Yesterday I got up at what felt like way too early. But whoever can go out, can get up and work. So I got myself ready and while making breakfast Anna came up to me to say hi after she arrived in the middle of the night back from their trip to Korfu, Rome and Milan. She went back to bed and I went back to work. it was a slow day with not a lot of customers coming in. But we had one whose phone wouldn't back up. He left his phone and laptop with us and right in the middle of updating his phone via the laptop there was a blue screen. It appeared to be a driver problem so I searched for it on the internet but before I could find out more about it the customer came back and collected his laptop and his phone. I told him about it and also told him to keep an eye on it.
On another note we also had a customer who had his Samsung S8+ in for a new screen a few weeks back. John did it but the screen was faulty. It work but it flashed and it was black around one of the edges. So he was told he will get another one that has to be ordered in. Unfortunately, it took a while for the screen to arrive so he wasn't happy with us. He brought his phone in to be done yesterday and John changed the screen. The customer still wasn't super happy but he was alright. He left with his repaired phone. About two hours later a man comes in and shows us a really damaged screen of an Samsung S8+. When we wanted to get his details he told us that it wasn't his phone but his collegues' who is the exact same guy who got his phone fixed just earlier this day. He told us that both of them are bus drivers and that his collegue started work and dropped his phone onto the steps of the bus. So that will be another 300 €. John and me both felt bad for him. After that John told me I could go so I went off into my weekend.
When I came back home Maxine was gone to spend the weekend with her boyfriend. Mackenzie was asleep since she only arrived in Galway at 9 in the mornign after having to stay at the airport in Dublin the night before. Anna and Emma came home just about the same time as me and asked me if I wanted to join them for dinner as they would make shrimps alfredo. We were joined by Mackenzie, Ryan and Tyler. Since it was Tylers last evening with some of them we decided to go out afterwards. True to that plan after the meal we got all ready and went back to the boys apartment. There we met a whole lot of familiy and friends of Liam who are here to visit him. This happening led to only Tyler, Mackenzie and me going out for his last day in Galway. It was his last day because he will go on a three week long trip through all of Europe (whoever knows the film Eurotrip: something like that) after that he comes back for a few days but most of the girls will be gone by then. At least according to everything I've heard about it. But let's wait and see. Also, we didn't stay out too late since he had to get up and leave at five, mackenzie wanted to study for her final and I had plans for today as well.

That is pretty much all about my last week of work. Turned out it got a bit longer than expected. Also, this post was supposed to go up yesterday evening but clearly that didn't work out. So I will tell you all about my weekend in the next blog that will also contain a bit more pictures again.

Until then: Stay tuned. Cheers!

Juliane

P.S.: Also I cheered when it was announced on the radio that the Duchess of Cambridge had her baby boy and I cheered again on Friday when the name was announced to be Louis Arthur Charles but mostly I cheered on Friday because ABBA announced two new songs. And I'm really happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment